Who We Are
a century of service
Library service in Shorewood dates back to 1903, when the Village Board of East Milwaukee - as Shorewood was known as at that time - appropriated funds, appointed a Library Board and hired the first librarian. Over the next half century, the library served residents at various rented storefront locations and at the Village Hall.
In 1965, the library opened its first permanent building at Shorewood Blvd. near the Village Hall. In the fall of 2001, the library moved to a temporary location in the River Club in Hubbard Park while the original building was renovated and expanded. The current Library and Village Center opened to the public in December of 2002.